First, you should ALWAYS brush your teeth after each and every meal. You should also floss at least once a day.
Here are more tips to help you take care of your teeth and braces:
1. Use toothpaste containing fluoride. You can also get a fluoride rinse from your orthodontist or family dentist to help prevent cavities!
2. If you take your retainer out to eat, always put it in a safe place so it doesn’t get lost.
3. You should clean your retainer by gently brushing it with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Don’t ever put it in boiling water or run it through the dishwasher.
4. It’s important to avoid foods that are sugary. They increase the bacteria in your mouth and cause more plaque to develop on your teeth, opening the door for cavities.
5. Avoid sticky and chewy foods like chewing gum, Skittles, gummy fruit snacks, hard foods like chips, hard bread, hard candies, ice cubes or nuts, or any food that could become stuck in your braces, such as corn on the cob or taffy.
6. Keep going to your family dentist every six months for a checkup and cleanings.